2017 Great Read kicks off "20 Years of Harry Potter"
Twenty years ago, a boy named Harry Potter brought the magic of reading to millions of children (and adults!) - and in turn did wondrous things for the worlds of books and movies.
Now, Plainfield-area artists of all ages are invited and encouraged to help celebrate Harry Potter by taking part in the 2017 Great Read community literacy program’s “20 Years of Harry Potter” art contest.
The 2017 Great Read program celebrates the phenomenal impact of the Harry Potter books on literature and culture worldwide.
Plainfield-area community members are encouraged to read any Harry Potter books and take part in the Great Read’s many fun, historical and educational programs dedicated to this year’s subject. The 2017 Great Read program will run from February 2-28, 2017. More information is available on the Great Read website: www.greatread.org
Kicking off this year’s Great Read program, artists from pre-kindergarten through adult can submit entries in any medium inspired by Harry Potter. Entries can be up to two feet high and wide, and weigh up to five pounds. Digital entries of up to 2½ minutes long can also be submitted.
The top winner in each of the three age groups - Prek-5th; 6th-12th; and 18 and older - will win a $50 Barnes and Noble gift card.
Entries must be dropped off at the artist’s local library by February 20, 2017 (February 15, 2017 for Plainfield Library patrons). Participating libraries include:
- Plainfield Public Library - 15025 S. Illinois St., Plainfield
- Fountaindale Public Library - 300 W. Briarcliff Road, Bolingbrook
- Shorewood-Troy Public Library - 650 Deerwood Drive, Shorewood
- Joliet Public Library, Black Road Branch - 3395 Black Road, Joliet
- Joliet Public Library, Main Branch - 150 N. Ottawa St., Joliet
- Joliet Junior College Library - 1215 Houbolt Road, Joliet
- Lemont Public Library - 50 E. Wend St., Lemont
- The White Oak Library, Romeoville Branch - 201 W. Normantown Road, Romeoville
- The White Oak Library, Lockport Branch - 121 E. 8th Street, Lockport
- The White Oak Library, Crest Hill Branch - 20670 Len Kubinski Drive, Crest Hill
All entries will be digitally displayed and winners will be announced at The Great Read’s Grand Finale at 6 p.m. Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at the Fountaindale Public Library, 300 W. Briarcliff Road, Bolingbrook.
All artwork must be picked up March 2-11, 2017 at the artist’s local library. Artwork not picked up by 4 p.m. March 11, 2017 will be recycled.
The Great Read is proudly presented by the Plainfield School District 202; the Plainfield, Fountaindale, Joliet, Lemont, Shorewood-Troy and White Oak public libraries; Joliet Junior College; Plainfield Township; and the Joliet Barnes and Noble store.
The Great Read is also supported by generous grants from the Plainfield Foundation for Excellence and the Friends of the Plainfield Public Library; with additional funding from Plainfield Township, the Joliet Barnes & Noble and Voyager Media and participating libraries.