The 2019 Great Read program heads down the yellow brick road
Few books have impacted popular culture as much as “The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.”
The 2019 Great Read community literacy program will celebrate the fantastic story that remains a worldwide touchstone for people of all ages nearly 120 years after Dorothy and Toto first stepped down the yellow brick road.
The Great Read is a consortium of public and private organizations promoting literacy, reading, conversation, and community in Plainfield and surrounding southwest suburban partner communities since 2004.
- The 2019 Great Read Kickoff will start at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, January 31, 2019 at the Ottawa Street Branch of the Joliet Public Library, 150 N. Ottawa Street, Joliet. Admission is free.
- Everyone with heart, brains and courage is invited to compete in “Wizard of Oz” trivia for prizes. Teams can be as large as five people, and singles will be combined into teams. Light refreshments will be available. Register online now.
- Artists of all ages in participating communities are invited and encouraged to enter the 2019 Great Read Art Contest.
- Enter at your local library where you could win in one of four age groups from pre-kindergarten to adult.
- Local winners in each group will move on to the final contest to compete for $50 Barnes & Noble gift cards.
- Detailed information and entry forms are available on the Great Read website (www.greatread.org) and at participating libraries.
- The 2019 Great Read Finale will start at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, February 28, 2019 at the Plainfield Public Library, 15025 S. Illinois Ave., Plainfield. Admission is free.
- The classic film starring Judy Garland will be shown. Attendees are strongly encouraged to dress up as their favorite character for a chance to win prizes.
- 2019 Great Read Art Contest winners will be announced and prizes awarded.
- Refreshments will be available.
- Books will be given to attendees while supplies last.
Throughout February, community members can also take part in a long list of Great Read-related programs and special activities at the Great Read’s participating libraries. Program information is posted on the Great Read website.
The 2019 Great Read is proudly presented by: the Plainfield School District 202; the Plainfield, Fountaindale, Joliet, and White Oak public libraries; Joliet Junior College; Plainfield Township; and the Joliet Barnes and Noble store.
The 2019 Great Read is also supported by generous grants and in-kind donations from the Plainfield Foundation for Excellence, Plainfield Township, the Joliet Barnes & Noble, Voyager Media, and participating libraries.
Please see The Great Read web site for more information about this year’s program: www.greatread.org