Follow the Yellow Brick Road for 2019 Great Read art contest
Nearly 120 years after first being published, “The Wonderful Wizard of Oz” remains a worldwide cultural, literary and cinematic phenomenon whose fantastic images and characters appeal to all ages.
Plainfield-area artists from pre-kindergarten through adult are invited and encouraged to share their artistic visions of “The Wonderful Wizard of Oz” as part of the 2019 Great Read community literacy program’s community art contest.
The 2019 Great Read program will run from January 31-February 28, 2019.
Artists can submit entries in any medium inspired by “The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.” Entries can be up to two feet high and wide and weigh up to five pounds. Digital entries of up to 2½ minutes long can also be submitted.
Art Contest applications are available now at local participating libraries and online at www.greatread.org
The top winner in each of the four age groups – Prek-2nd grade; 3rd-5th grades; 6th-8th grades; and 9th grade and older – will win a $50 Barnes and Noble gift card.
Entries must be dropped off at the artist’s local library between January 14 and February 15, 2019. Participating libraries include:
- Plainfield Public Library - 15025 S. Illinois St., Plainfield
- Fountaindale Public Library - 300 W. Briarcliff Road, Bolingbrook
- Joliet Public Library, Black Road Branch - 3395 Black Road, Joliet
- Joliet Public Library, Main Branch - 150 N. Ottawa St., Joliet
- Joliet Junior College Library - 1215 Houbolt Road, Joliet
- The White Oak Library, Romeoville Branch - 201 W. Normantown Road, Romeoville
- The White Oak Library, Lockport Branch - 121 E. 8th Street, Lockport
- The White Oak Library, Crest Hill Branch - 20670 Len Kubinski Drive, Crest Hill
All entries will be displayed digitally, and winners will be announced at The Great Read’s Finale at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, February 28, 2019 at the Plainfield Public Library, 15025 S. Illinois St., Plainfield.
All artwork must be picked up March 4-8, 2019 at the artist’s home library. Artwork not picked up by 4 p.m. March 8, 2019 will be recycled.
The Great Read promotes literacy, reading, conversation and community in the greater Plainfield area.
The program is proudly presented by: the Plainfield School District 202; the Plainfield, Fountaindale, Joliet, and White Oak public libraries; Joliet Junior College; Plainfield Township; and the Joliet Barnes and Noble store.
The Great Read is also supported by generous grants and in-kind donations from the Plainfield Foundation for Excellence, Plainfield Township, the Joliet Barnes & Noble, Voyager Media, and participating libraries.
Please see The Great Read web site for more information about this year’s program: www.greatread.org